Thursday, October 13, 2011

Archive Analysis: "Meet Joe Black"

Meet Joe Black
Directed by: Martin Brest
Starring: Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins, Claire Forlani
Rated: PG-13 for an accident scene, some sexuality, and brief strong language

The Martin Brest film Meet Joe Black is a misleading title. The film certainly centers on Joe Black, the incognito name of Death (Brad Pitt) who spends time with an elderly man, William Parish, during the final days of his life in order to grasp what living is all about, but Joe Black's innocent and clueless character almost single-handly ruins the film. Thankfully, his subject is played by Anthony Hopkins, who connects the story with it’s audience by his sheer grace and understanding of the character. The wealthy and intelligent Parish who is silently preparing for his death is far more interesting. The film is also slow and is overloaded with themes, but it’s still emotionally moving. Perhaps it’s the work of the story, or it’s romanticized naturalistic view of life after death (or lack thereof). Either way, it’s wonderful to see Hopkins’ character reconnecting with his family and friends, righting old wrongs, and freely showing the love he possessed, silently knowing his time is almost up. It may be worth having to watch all the “Joe Black” scenes in between.

2 comments:

  1. Master Scheller,

    I wouldn't be commenting on this blog to interrupt your flowing thoughts, but when I noticed you had reviewed one of my top five favs of all time, I couldn't help but stop and comment.

    I can understand where you are coming from on your approach with the film. But if I may add-to, I dare say Brad Pitt's acting is one of the most marvelous performances on screen in the history of cinema. He almost throws out his "pretty-boy" self he has clung to so dearly over the years and wraps himself so divinely in the role of Joe Black. All the acting in this movie was on the dot, the directing was up to par, and the writing was very well done. The pacing?--that could be argued, but I believe that it was so perfectly paced that I found myself wondering how three whole hours could whiz by without me knowing. The story and the acting is what moves me; the unique twist to it all. There has never been a movie quite like this well. I pray there will never be a remake.

    I believe in hearing everyone's opinion. I respect hearing yours; this one's just mine.

    Keep up the good work on your posts, Zach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll keep this short and to the point. You hit the nail on the head. One of my absolute favorite films...and it is because of that slow, deliberate pacing that every character gesture illuminates each frame. Pitt and Hopkins at soaring highs in regards to their acting craft as well as the suite of other talented cast. Case in point, do you remember how Hopkins' Parish leans in to slowly gaze at Drew during the board meeting. He has just been forced to resign after his birthday and immediately witnesses his company's first steps into destruction. His lips remain still for almost a lifetime until he breaks into a small smile..."Okay." ...so much for to the point...but, man I love this film!!!

      Delete