Monday, November 1, 2010

Archive Analysis: "Vertigo", "Barton Fink", and "Last of the Mohicans"

Vertigo
Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
Starring: Jimmy Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes
Rated: PG for sensuality, mild violence, and thematic elements

Hitchcock's classic film has all the rigjht moves; interesting premise, great camera work, wonderful performances, and a mind-bending twist. However, a lack of drive to the film, along with a seriously creepy and disturbing Jimmy Stewart as the protagonist made me unsympathetic and disconnect from the story. When looking at the AFI Top 100 list, I have to wonder why Veritgo hasn't fallen yet.



Barton Fink
Directed by: Joel Coen
Starring: John Turturro, John Goodman, Judy Davis
Rated: R for language and some scenes of violence
Watching the Coens' first films is truly an eye-opening experience. By all accounts, the film is great; it boasts wonderful set design, accenting by Roger Deakins' wonderful cinematography. It's original, taking a look at the golden age of Hollywood in a surreal yet enjoyable way. And, it boasts the fantastic dialogue that makes the Coens so incredibly entertaining (such as the cameo of Steve Buscemi.)
However, Barton Fink is missing something, and it seems that, after the big twist, the film loses its momentum. I feel it was because, unlike most Coen films, I simply didn't get the theme. Like Barton, I didn't understand the picture. Perhaps I will return to it one day and praise it as another classic Coen film. Until then, we'll simply call it a entertaining.



The Last of the Mohicans
Directed by: Michael Mann
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeline Stowe
Rated: R for violence
Perhaps it's Daniel Day-Lewis, perhaps its the heart-pounding musical theme, perhaps it's the fights, Hawkeye's emotional "I will find you" speech, or the beauty of the Colonial american scenery. Whatever it is, I enjoy Last of the Mohicans, despite it's campiness and lack of drive. Set around the French and Indian war, the film follows an American-raised-Indian trapper, his native american father and brother, and their involvment in the war because of whom and what they love. The film is Day-Lewis' worst performance (it's still decent) and Michael Mann really can't figure out what he wants the story to be. However, I feel the emotional pulls of the it's highly romanticized perspective, and it makes me want to run through the woods as fast as I can. I understand that Last of the Mohicans is not a great film, but I love it, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment