Friday, July 23, 2010

Archive Analysis: "Searching for Bobby Fischer"

Zach's Favorite Film #9
Searching for Bobby Fischer
Directed by: Steve Zaillian
Starring: Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen, Ben Kingsley, Laurence Fishburne
Rated:PG for thematic elements
Out of all the films I love, I don't think any of them has consistently grown on me as much Searching for Bobby Fischer. As a kid, I loved the witty script and inspiring story of chess prodigy Josh Waitzkin, who showed those around him how to love people as much as success. As an adult, I continue to love the story, but I've also come to enjoy the performances by the incredible cast of (now) big name actors and actresses who worked on the project, like Ben Kingsley, Joan Allen, Laura Linney, Laurence Fishburne, and William H. Macy. I also love James Horner's score and Conrad Hall's lovely composition and lighting. But, most of all, I love the innocence and beauty of the story, one that teaches us adults about the wonderful nature of childhood. Though probably considered a kid's movie, Bobby Fischer is one of my favorites, even (or especially) as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment