Friday, June 11, 2010

Archive Analysis: "The Godfather" films and "Jurassic Park"

Zach's Favorite Film #14
The Godfather (Parts 1-3)
Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola
Starring: Al Pacino, Marlon Brando (Part 1), Robert DeNiro (Part 2), Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall (Parts 1-2)
Rated: R (my unofficial reasoning would be: for violence and language, and also for nudity in Part I)Unlike most people, I view Coppola's Godfather films as a complete trilogy; they all tell one story. While known for its slow pace and heavy violence, few comment on the sheer tragedy of Michael Corleone's rise to power (Part I), the loss of control over his family (Part II) and his demise (Part III) that strips everything away from him. The beauty and sadness of this tale makes it a classic trilogy that you can't refuse.



Jurassic Park
Directed by: Steven Speilberg
Starring: Sam Neil, Jeff Goldblum, Samuel L. Jackson
Rated: PG-13 for intense science fiction terror

As a kid, I dreamed of encountering dinosaurs in my day-to-day life. Perhaps it was because, as a child, I wanted (and wasn't allowed) to watch Jurassic Park. (Probably a good thing, since I used to get pretty terrified by animatronic dinosaurs at museums.) However, at the age of twenty four, I finally got around to watching Speilberg's film that I been waiting a good seventeen years to see. And, let me tell you, it didn't disappoint. Sure, it was ridiculous, from it's shameless promotion of evolution as fact (not surprising) to a kid barely being hurt by 1000-volt electrical shock (which was totally unbelievable). However, for the two hours of dinosaurs chasing people, I threw my film-making standards aside, and became a seven year old again. And I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment