Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Archive Analysis: "Monsters Inc" and "Witness"

Monsters Inc.
Directed by: Pete Doctor
Starring: John Goodman, Billy Crystal, Steve Buscemi
Rated:G

I remember when I first watched Monsters Inc. I felt something different, that I had never felt before in an animated movie: being emotionally moved. Because of that, Monsters Inc has become a classic animated film in my book, and one of my favorite Pixar films of all time. The animation and story is great, but it’s the love and friendship between the characters that truly tug at your heart. While we seem to now such things from Pixar, one should never get over how good their films truly are.




Witness
Directed by: Peter Weir
Starring: Harrison Ford, Kelly McGillis
Rated:R (my unofficial reasoning would be: for violence, nudity, and brief strong language)

Peter Weir’s film Witness follows detective John Book, played by Harrison Ford, who must protect a young Amish boy, the only witness of murder, from a band of crooked cops. While one would expect the film to deal with the idea of trying to separate oneself from evil the world, or even issues of pacifism versus self-protection, Witness seems to only focus on a forbidden love affair between detective Book and the son’s widowed mother, and even then doesn’t come to any real conclusions. A terrific premise with the potential of deep and interesting themes is wasted on a shallow script. Can I get a witness?



No comments:

Post a Comment