Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Movie Review: "Precious"

Precious

Directed by: Lee Daniels

Starring: Gabourey Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton

Rated: R for child abuse including sexual assault, and pervasive language

Watching Lee Daniel’s film Precious is about as painful of a film as one can stand to watch. There is no light, no joy, no peace in this world. Instead, it’s a world of suffering, layered with a lifetime of sins. I never, in my lifetime, want to see this movie again.


But, that having been said, Lee Daniel’s film is important. At it’s core, Precious is a message of hope: that there is something beyond welfare checks and high school drop outs. As painful as it was to watch, I couldn’t help but think of the people who needed to see this film. Those I used to play basketball with. I now check out their dvds and grant them time on the computers at my local library. My church is in the midst of them. People who are suffering, even if they are part of the cause. Lee Daniels remained in their culture, yet presented them with the possibility of hope. What am I doing for them?



No comments:

Post a Comment