Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Archive Analysis: "Twilight"

Don't worry; it isn't one of my favorite films...


Twilight

directed by: Catherine Hardwicke

starring: Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart

Rated: PG-13 for some violence and a scene of sensuality

I feel a certain amount of apathy toward reviewing Twilight, simply because minds are already made up about the movie (and books.) While girls in high school (or high schoolers at heart) swoon over the romantic gazes of Edward and Bella, pre-teen boys over the vampire fight scenes, and the haters gawk at the poor acting and script (“you are my brand of heroin”), I looked at the movie with a certain amount of grace. Sure, it’s corny, with little production value, and with no conflict until the last third of the movie, but it’s no different than High School Musical, or other teen-geared films; they're all painful to watch, for me. Twilight is a re-packaged Romeo and Juliet story, minus good writing and replacing it with vampire fangs. We are suckers for forbidden romances, and every decade has had it’s take: the 1990s’ had Titanic, the 1980s’ had Dirty Dancing, and the 1970s’ had Love Story. I'm not a child of the 2000s, but it's no-surprise to me why the film is popular: original premise, plenty of action, and enough teen-romance to make prom. And, while I’m certainly not lining up to see the sequel New Moon, I certainly can knock the essence of what it’s trying to be. Unfortunately, it comes across too juvenile.

No comments:

Post a Comment